Thursday, May 31, 2012

5.31.12 - the Spruce

I'll be honest.. I'm posting this one 'post-humously'  I'm dating it on the day I drank this.. but I forgot I had it.. took the picture with my phone and completely slipped my mind!  Sorry for the dishonesty, guys!


Harpoon 100 Barrel Series - # 39 Vermont Spruce Tip.  An ale at 7.0% ABV and 38 IBUs brewed with spruce tips from the great state of Vermont (Should be a great, big DUH if you read the name of the beer.. just clarifying).  A very very nice pour that my lowly (not really.. 8mp) camera phone doesn't do justice.  Incredibly clear and deep color, nice thick head..  exemplary!  Nice nose on this fella too..  mild caramel malts, hint of vanilla sweetness and nice kicks of essentially forest..  woody, nutty, piney notes.  Smooth and a bit light in body, the malts hit first.  A bit sweet, a bit robust and nutty.. slight piney hop bite hits next, dry and sharp..  the spruce is mixed in here as well giving it a log-cabin inspired taste.  Very woodsy and full, yet nice and crisp..  Slightly boozy but in a good way.  Not much to the finish.. just dry and a touch of sweetness.  The spruce was present, but I feel like it could have been more dominant.  Maybe too little was used or it would be showcased better in a different style.  Much more present than in my most recent homebrew at least..  A slightly different take on the American IPA style..  but glad this isn't a 'permanent' offering by them.

No comments:

Post a Comment