Saturday, December 29, 2012

12.29.12 - Snowstorm and Wine

It's fitting that 2012 will come to a close, on this blog at least, not with beer which has undoubtedly produced  the best memories of the year for me, but with wine.  Yes, wine.  It's far too oft-forgotten in my drinking adventures, but can fit any situation oh so well.  Which is why I had the hankering for some tonight..  You see, it's the first, and last, "big" snowstorm of 2012.  Started while I was working the part-time gig..  got to the point where there was barely 2 inches on the ground, but it built up quick and ended up bringing traffic to all but a halt.  There was ice and shit underneath the snow.. just a mess.  30 min drive took 70..  Jesus.  So I just wanted some food and to relax while watching the storm.

"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" - Ben Franklin.  Words to live by..  so let's drink up!


Honestly, nothing is more relaxing than wine to me.  Yes, I love beer.. but I feel like I analyze each sip, mentally compare it to others of the style..  with wine, I just sip.  I love the warming buzz that creeps up the back of my neck and encompasses my brain.  Intoxicating.  Literally.

Clayhouse - 2007 Adobe Red.  44% Zinfandel, 32% Petite Sirah, 16% Syrah, 5% Malbec, 4% Grenache, and  2% Mourvedre.  Aged for 14 months and at 14.1% ABV.  I've had this for about 2 years now.. was hoping to do a side-by-side with the 2008, but just never got around to it.   Gorgeous ruby red pour, very light bodied.. produces no residual lacing on the glass.  Rich fruits hit the nose, blackberries, cherries and plums.. hints of oaky wood and a smooth, sweet vanilla.  Incredibly smooth body and taste, silky almost.  Average to low level of tannins.. it's drying but still maintains a sweetness, not overpowering at all.  Tart dark cherries at the front of the wine that are followed up by sweeter, smoother raspberries, strawberries and those plums again leveling it out.  Slight spice and oak is present throughout with the acidity rising as it breathed.  Bold and spicy, smooth and balanced..  this is a really good wine for the price and may be a good wine to bridge the gap from white drinkers to red drinkers.

(if I had a wine rating system, this'd be a solid 7 'grapes')

No comments:

Post a Comment