Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Whisky Schmisky

So I've had like 2 wines posts and the other 150-some-odd have been beer..  time for a change!

Technically it was SCOTCH, not just regular whiskey, but scotch schmotch doesn't have the same ring to it. Out of the blue on Monday I got an email from an event company in Boston telling me I was invited to a Macallan tasting.. I didn't sign up for one, nor ever put my name on a whisk(e)y/scotch mailing list.. but hey, it turned out to be free!  Are YOU gonna say no to that?  Didn't think so!


Gorgeous, huh?  We got the sample the 12 year Sherry cask, 15 year fine oak cask, 17 year fine oak cask and 18 year old Sherry cask!  I wish I could describe these more, but I'm just starting to get into scotch..  so let's just say they were all delicious!  To me, the stand-outs were the 12 and 15, the sherry imparts different flavors and textures than the fine oak and gives a nice full body, rich fruits and deeper caramels.  The fine oak had some nice crisp citrus to it.  The burn started to creep into the 17 and 18.. not a huge fan of that.  For instance Johnnie Green will win over Johnnie Blue for me any day because the burn is hidden, but all the flavors are there.  Either way.. I'm growing my taste for scotches and whiskys..  do you drink 'em?  Then let's go try some!!

No comments:

Post a Comment