Monday, August 19, 2013

8.19 - Tropical Storm Xavier

I've been really getting into sours lately.. and I have my goddamn trading group to blame for that.  Bastards, introducing me to great beer that I couldn't possibly try otherwise!  What jerks!


Newport Storm - Cyclone Series (Xavier) 
a 7.0% ABV 45 IBU Flanders-style Red with cherries added.  Interesting to see such a small player in the New England craft scene attempt a Flanders.. and not a natural one at that.  They force-soured it, as in added microorganisms to speed up the souring process.  Can go very good.. or can go very very bad.  A bright blood orange pour with absolutely no head, even with a hard pour.  Not a good sign..  Part of the tartness can be enhanced by the beer's carbonation.  There's a lactic sour note to the nose with hints of a cherry sweetness.  Fairly faint nose however.  As for the taste.. well..  remember how I said that forced souring can go one of two ways.. well it went the second way, for sure.. in a big way.  This is just bad.  The sourness is basically non-existent, along with the carbonation.  What we end up with is a watered-down cherry soda...definitely a let down.   I have one more..maybe we'll see if some age helps the sour

- - 4 Hops

No comments:

Post a Comment