Sunday, August 11, 2013

8.11 - Rats in the Cellar

DUAL MEANINGS!  look at my writing skills!  I has them!

the title of this post relates to both the name of the brewery AND the fact I bough this beer from a cellar sale.  I'm so dang witty, ain't I?  Now let's drink, dammit!


Cellar Rats Brewery - Black Rat Imperial Stout 
a 9.2% ABV Imperial Stout.   I personally love seeing these higher ABV beers in 12oz format.  Funny how the majority of them end up in 22oz bombers or 750ml cork-and-cage..  sometimes that can be just too damn much beer, even for someone like me.  Heavy heavy carb on this one left me having to pour a few times and still ended up with almost a 2 inch head.  Opaque brown/black with a strong sweet chocolate nose, a lot of vanilla and hints of bourbon (although this was not barrel-aged at all).  They call it an Imperial Milk Stout - certainly fits that style.  It's slick and medium-bodied, like blending Hersey's syrup with Kahlua. The obvious milk chocolate, with some smooth oatmeal flavors, sweetness from vanilla beans and iced Dunkins coffee.  It gets a bit thicker as the beer warms..  more dark, bitter chocolate and some bourbon-esque bite.  So slick but sweet on the finish.  Again, happy to see higher ABV beers in smaller bottles.. but this one.. this one I wish I had a 22oz'er of.  So delicious!

- - 7 Hops!



No comments:

Post a Comment