Monday, December 19, 2011

Bottling Day - part 2

So I let the dry-hopped portion sit for a week and decided to bottle tonight!  I figured with it being a full 1oz dry-hop on only 2gal (pretty damn aggressive) and being my first time dry-hopping, a week should be enough...  and damn, it smells so friggin good!  I really don't know if I can wait at least 3 weeks to crack into these..

But of course, with any event involving beer, ya gotta drink beer too!



This is another of those bottles that I got on discount, more than a few months ago, and forgot about..  so I was hoping for the best, but expecting bad results...  Unibroue - Blanche De Chambly: the "first refermented white beer brewed according to Belgian tradition in North Ameria"  a white ale at 5.0% ABV and 10 IBUs  One of the most gorgeously hazy golden yellow beers I've seen, fairly heady and super yeasty.  A light wheat aroma, some lemon and orange with some decent spice and yeast notes present.  A nice refreshing witbier, very carbonated, a little drying at times.  The spice and citrus play the dominant roles with a little grassy hops mildly detectable.  There may have been a lack of complexity in general on the finish, or a little bit sour.. maybe the age is playing a factor here...  but the end was sorta lacking.  Overall, a great example of the style, doesn't try to be overboard in anyway, nice balance and very refreshing.

At work last week there was a mini conference with a reception after.. and of course there was wine and beer! And naturally there was beer left over..  I had be be sure the lil guys wouldn't be left orphaned!  One I took home was the Blue Hills Brewery - Blue Hill IPA..  A nice 6.6% ABV IPA brewed just a few miles south of me in Canton, MA!  Standard copper pour like a lotta the East coast IPA's I've brought to my lips.  A bit of orange on the nose with some grassy and citrus hops, a little toasted malts, not overly strong in any aspect.  The grassy hops are definitely pulling the work here..  a bit more malty than expected though with some nice caramel and biscuit-like malts coming around.  Not hugely complex, but does what it set out to do.. be an IPA.  Again, not an overly complex beer at all, but a decent example.

No comments:

Post a Comment