Friday, September 20, 2013

9.20 - Marshall Wharf


I snagged these while in Maine 2 months ago, both list a brew/can date in June, so trying to hit these within the 3 month 'sweet-spot' window for IPAs/hoppy beers.

Marshall Wharf - Ace Hole
a  6.3% American Pale Ale brewed with Sorachi Ace and Citra hops.  Man.. I love me some Citra..  this is a gorgeous golden yellow pour with a big, bold head (as is the case with these canned beers).  Bready, light, sweet caramel nose with tons of citrusy hops.  Again.. fuckin love Citra.  It may be impossible to make a bad beer that uses Citra.  Grapefruit, pepper, candied sugar..  it makes me want to drink this through my nose. With this sweetness and hop profile, hard to believe it can be called an APA, this is fantastic.  So much crisp balance to this beer, the hops are bold and bright, but play nicely with the golden bready malts.  A touch dry on the finish, this would easily be an everyday beer if I had that sort of access.. simply fantastic.  hard to find a single thing I'd change about this.

- - 9 Hops!


Marshall Wharf - Cant Dog
a 9.7% ABV Imperial IPA.  Can someone explain to me why some breweries use the DIPA moniker and others use Imperial IPA?  Tomato tomAHto I guess.. right?  A bright copper, heady pour.. another head that takes forever to settle and laces the glass gorgeously.   Huge amounts of caramel malts, sticky, resinous citrus piney hops... a bit subdued and not as sharp as I think it has the potential to have, but it's about 3 months old.  It's got a very strong hop presence, but I feel like the hop flavor has faded and all that remains is mainly in the nose.  There's still strong a strong piney presence, but it melds in with the sticky malts and boozy bite.  This needs to be drank fresh.. BUT I can imagine what this would be fresh.  The balance is still there, just muted like someone trying to smother an aging grandparent with a pillow.  But the nose is still amazing!

- - 8 Hops!


No comments:

Post a Comment