Sunday, July 7, 2013

7/7 - Texas IPAs

I recently acquired some IPAs from the great southern state of Texas.. through purchase with some trader friends and though some pure generosity.  So why not?


Freetail Brewing - Velocihopter IPA
a 6.5% ABV 60 IBU IPA..  this particular one was 'purchased' in a cellar sale and I was warned it was fairly old, therefore it was given to me at no cost..  well, that's a risk I'm willing to take!  This is brewed with Falconer's Flight hops, a fairly new blend of hops...  sadly, from the first drop that hit the glass I could tell that this was, in fact, way way past its prime.  Zero carb, a weirdly thick pour..  pure heavy orange rind nose with far more booze than the 6.5% would suggest..  absolutely NO hops.  I only made it about a third of the way through the first glass before I had to dump..  which is a total shame since there are slight hints of a great beer underneath the total mess that this became.  It seems like it would have been a nice citrusy IPA with sweeter fruit under tones.  I guess I'll never know....

- - 1 Hop (hypothetical 6 or 7?....)


Karbach Brewing - Rodeo Clown Double IPA
a 9.5% ABV 85 IBU DIPA..  after that last mess, anything has to be better right?  (in all fairness I really shouldn't bash a beer that's probably a year past it's prime... but hey, bottom line it didn't taste that well at all).  I've lately been obsessing over the great beers that are being canned.. and being a free extra.. well, let's see if this night is getting any better!  A nice rich orange brown pour with a minimal cream head.. this is highly malt-forward in aroma with some pine and balanced citrusy hops.. so thick the aroma lingers on the nose and just doesn't let go for nothing.  The malts follow through.. as you would expect with most beers: nose -> palate..  sweet caramel malts, earthy and grainy.. but with tons of resinous hops here.  Super thick hops, tons of orange and citrus with sharply bitter pine on the finish, mixing with a lick of sweetness.  A very solid DIPA, tons of hops, and just the right amount of booze

- - 8 Hops!



No comments:

Post a Comment