Monday, May 20, 2013

5.20 - Kick a Ginger Day

If you don't get the reference, we can't be friends.  Seriously.  Go watch some viral videos, the classic shit, and you'll get the reference.  As you may remember, a few months back, I took a trip to Montreal and stopped in/around Burlington, VT.  There's a crazy liquor store up there that always seems to have ridiculous closeout sales..  I think I snagged this one for $3.99 or something like that..


Foley Brothers - Native Ginger Wheat
Part of their Native lineup.. a 6.3% ABV pale ale brewed with fresh Vermont ginger.  A bright golden orange pour and voluminous head.. I had to wait a few times during the pour!  There's a ton of wheat coming off the nose with the unmistakable punch of ginger.. like sniffing the condiment from a tray of fresh sushi.  Nothing else really sticks out on the nose.  The first sip is harsh ginger.. there's a little malty sweetness near the end, but it's ginger through-and-through.  I'm figuring as it warms, I'd get more facets to this... but no.  There's a touch of grassy hops.. but it's wheat malts, a bit sweet.. and shit tons of ginger.  Hate to say this.. but I couldn't finish it.  Ginger just ain't my thang..  well, ginger in food/beer that is!

- - 4 Hops (for the effort)

No comments:

Post a Comment