Friday, March 22, 2013

3.22 - the Vermonster

This brew reminds me of my childhood, because I drank heavily from the age of 4 until I was 9.

No..but really it does, because I remember going to Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream factory when I was like 7 and, although not served there, on multiple occasions I remember getting their Vermonster sundae at friends' birthday parties.  Let's see if this lives up to it's name..


Rock Art Brewery - The Vermonster
a 10.% ABV 100 IBU hopped-up Barleywine Ale.  Brewed originally for their 10th anniversary, 10%, 100 IBU.. add them up and you get 110lbs of malt per barrel.  daaaaaamn.  Pours a rich brown with a mellow white head..  booze and thick, sweet malt come through initially - molasses, plum, raisins, figs..brown sugar, faint spice...  earthy and a faint hop note follow behind.  This is somewhere between a standard Barleywine and an Imperial IPA.. in a weird grey area.   It's got a boozy and bitter hop bite, but not quite the body or sweetness you'd expect from a Barleywine..  dry and piney, but slightly rich/sweet.  It's akin to say, Double Bastard, but more like it's oft-neglected stepbrother.  I wish I could like this, but it's out of balance, not true to style..just doesn't fit for some reason.  I hear fresh is hoppier and aged it's maltier.. this must be not aged enough, or aged just a touch too much.. shame

- - 5 Hops


No comments:

Post a Comment