Monday, March 11, 2013

3.11 - The Shed

Monday night.. gotta move on Friday (long story, buy me a beer or 4 and I may tell you).  What's a boy to do?!  Duh, drink!


The Shed - Mountain Ale
a 7.4% ABV 35 IBU 'rugged' Brown Ale.  Less than a year ago, The Shed began distributing beyond VT and even slightly before then, I had been hearing very good things about this little beer.  Deep chestnut brown pour with a very minimal head..  Nutty, roasty, bready malts jump from the glass.  There's underlying touches of caramel and chocolate with some earthy, piney hops.  Only the faintest touch of alcohol is noticeable.  It's surprisingly light for such a dark, malty brew, reminds me of an English Brown ale with a touch more hops.  There is some piney/floral hops at the forefront of the taste that conflicts a bit with the smooth, nutty malts that follow and dominate the rest of the beer.  It imparts a sort of minty note that lingers and confuses.  It's smooth, but slightly harsh.  There's some spices mixed all around, probably allspice and maybe a touch of cinnamon.  It finishes malty and a touch sweet.  Really good brew, it stands out on it's own for sure, unlike anything I've had so far.. but just seems a bit off-balance.   I'd give it 8+ if I could, but that weighs it down

- - 7 Hops!

No comments:

Post a Comment