Wednesday, February 20, 2013

2.20 - Notch Night

Crazy long week already.. but it's only Wednesday night and it's late.  So I don't wanna go apeshit..


Notch - Valley Malt BSA
a 4.4% ABV session Farmhouse Ale.  The BSA stands for Brewer Sponsored Agriculture.  Started by Valley Malt in western MA, the BSA encourages farmers to grow malts for local brewers.  Bottled and released in September, the malt for this was harvested in July, on my birthday actually!  That means this is sort of a tribute to me, I gotta try it!  A hazy golden orange pour, the head is fluffy and off-centered.  A very traditional Farmhouse nose - hay, straw, grassy hops and a funk mixed in.  There's citrusy oranges with some fresh herbs thrown in.  It seems a bit off, not in full balance.  It's definitely light and crisp, but with a somewhat fuller mouthfeel.  Oranges, tangerines, banana and a honey-like bready malt dominate the taste with some off-flavor funk.  This style should have the funk, but this is a bit weird.  Only been a few months, but this may not have a great shelf-life.  It's grassy, herby, touches of spice and some yeast.  I still can't place how this seems off, but it just does.  I liked the BSA Harvest from last year a bit better, also think I had it a bit more fresh as well.  Not bad.. maybe just a bad bottle or too old.

- - 5 Hops


No comments:

Post a Comment