Thursday, February 14, 2013

2.14 - My Own Personal Valentine's

So it's Valentine's Day - and once again I'm single by the true definition of the word.  At least it's better than last year when I was hurling up everything I had eaten for the previous 4 days.  I'm at least healthy and on my feet this go-round.  So how do I celebrate?  By drinking beer alone and coming up with my own holiday beer-tail, of course!!




I believe I've talked about the Cerise before, so I won't touch on that one too much, but I'll go more into depth on the Imperial Stout here.  If I've missed the Cerise..I'll revisit it later on.  Don't worry baby birds, mama won't leave you hanging!

Founders - Cerise
A 6.5% ABV  15 IBU Cherry Ale.  Some are far too syrupy, some are just hints.. this is what a cherry beer should be.  There's a strong kick on the nose so you know what you're drinking.. it's got a nice tart kick, smooth, sweet,  just like fresh cherry juice.  There's not that overpowering cough medicine taste to this.  Just right!

- - 8 Hops!

Then I went after the Founders -  Imperial Stout
A 10.5% ABV  90 IBU Imperial Stout (duh).  Can we just say, for someone that isn't Stone, DAMN that's a hoppy stout!  A smooth, thick pour with a dense mocha head.  This screams coffee and chocolate.. there's smoke in the nose and roasty malts.  It's like someone dipped bitter black chocolate in crushed-up coffee beans and then put it in a smoker.  Touches of alcohol come through as it warms.  It's smooth, bitter and bold.  Chocolate, both milk and crazy aggressive bitter black chocolates are the first to the tongue.  It's got an amazing bitterness you don't often see in this style.. seems like it's lent from chocolate, hops and maybe even some rye malts.  Only touches of the booze and the faintest bit of ripe, dark fruits.  There's some coffee and molasses underlying before oak, anise and more chocolate in the aftertaste.  An outstanding and slightly different (read: bitter) take on the style.

- - 9 Hops!



Whoa.. whoa.. WHAT? WAIT..  what is this!?

Yeah, kid.  I blended the shit outta them!  Chocolate covered cherries are the sure-fire way to make MY panties drop on V-Day, so I gave them to myself!  BOOM.  What you can't see here is the lovely pink/mocha swirling to the head.. just delightful!  The cherry flavor is slightly hidden beneath the huge stout.. next time I'd do more of a 65/35 split.  Either way.. it's like double chocolate-dipped cherries with a black chocolate mocha center!  HELL YES and Happy Valentine's Day folks!

- - 9 Hops!!



No comments:

Post a Comment