Saturday, January 5, 2013

1.5.13 - Year Old Beer


If you cellar beer, at some point you've gotta take the beer out and drink it, right?  If not, what's the point!  My mother does this with wine - she'll buy great wines and just sit on them for years, even whites, which usually do not age well.  Well, for me, I gotta cave at some point.  This isn't that big of a deal.. only a year.


Brooklyn Brewery - Black Chocolate Stout  vintage '10-'11  Heading out for the evening, and what a better way to get in the zone than a 10% Russian Imperial Stout?!  Yes.. this is 10% ABV  and yes, most places will sell it for $8-$9/4pk   That, my friends, is called a fucking deal!  A pitch black pour with a nice, medium tan head.  It certainly lives up to it's name in the nose - rich black chocolate comes through with touches of molasses and black coffee.  I think I've done this brew before, but it seems to gain viscosity with age.  This is coming out like slightly watered-down chocolate syrup..   The booze is unbelievable.  Incredibly warming and smooth, it never feels undrinkable.  Again, chocolate is the word of the day with a nice blend of milk and super dark chocolate.. nice roasty notes and a touch of carbonation so it doesn't feel like you're drinking pure motor oil.  I now have a '10-'11, '11-'12 and '12-'13 in my possession.  Debating doing a vertical tasting this year or next..  either way, super excited to see how these age up.

- - 8 Hops!

No comments:

Post a Comment