Friday, September 14, 2012

Friday 9.14 - Summer's Not Over

Yeah, sure.. it's getting chillier out.  But you know what, I have an abnormally high body temp, so I still need fans and/or A/C at night..  so it's still summer for me!  Suck it.


Exhibit A: Grittys - Vacation Land Summer Ale.  4.9% ABV..22 IBUs  A unique take on a summer ale, this is their summery version of an Extra Special ale.  Nice straw-colored pour with a voluminous head..  Grainy/malty nose, hints of orange peel, thick oats and touches of floral hops.  Now I had some recommendations on this..and knowing beforehand that it's an Extra Special..  the body didn't surprise me.  Much much fuller, smoother than most summers..  maltier too.  Toasted oats create the body and sweetness.. definitely getting caramel malts as well..  touches of honey as well as a healthy dose of floral hops to round it all all.  Drying on the finish.. but the lingering sweetness makes you want more.  Not as light or refreshing as you would expect in a summer, a bit unusual and tough to get used to.. but damn does it work!



Next on the bill.. a seasonal from a brewery who, if you heard 3 years ago was doing 'craft seasonal releases,' you would have died of laughter.  Narragansett - Summer Ale.  4.2% ABV and 24 IBUs.. it certainly fits the bill of a summer..  Holy hell, this is one clear brew!  If you gave me a glass of this at a bar, I'd swear you just poured summa that fizzy yellow crud..  but nope! Nice mild nose, with caramel and honey along with cracker/biscuit malts coming forward.  Smooth and bright, this is full of light but sweet malts.. slightly bready, hints of caramel.  The grassy hops are merely an afterthought, hidden under the malt layers.  (note: I hear they use Citra hops.. but I'm not getting much citrus.. maybe it's the can, maybe it's me.. maybe it's such a small amount the citrus really can't showcase itself..  who knows)  Nice sweet and smooth finish practically begs for another sip.  It's my new go-to summer brew..  plus it's a tall boy.  Even more of a win!

No comments:

Post a Comment