Monday, September 17, 2012

9.17 - Throwback Monday

So back in July I was up at Hampton Beach with some friends, and I had heard about this microbrewery at a beer fest that is located in North Hampton.. sooo  umm, yeah, of course I went!

I tried everything on tap and was blown away by 2 brews, which I got in growlettes to go!


Growlette # 1 - Rhubarb Wit   Yeah, I bet your first thought was the same as mine - "WTF"  but, folks, this is legit, and it's good to boot!  5.0% ABV and 15 IBUs Belgian-style Witbier with some local chamomile and about 75lbs of local rhubarb in each batch... BOOM!  Cloudy orange pour, lost a little head due to a few weeks in the fridge.. but a decent pour overall.  Terrific sweet citrus nose, heavy on the oranges and lemons, some background sweet wheaty malts.  Medium bodied, sweet and malty.  Typical wit notes.. touches of spice mingle with the full, earthy citrus flavors.  Not so much now, but nicely carbonated and and fizzy when fresh, the ending is citrusy with a robust tart rhubarb touch.  A perfect balance to this and an unexpected take on a traditional style.


Next up - a blend!  Yes.. a blend.. I really wanted a full growlette of their White Heron Chai Porter, but kicked the keg as it was half full.  So I got the option to toss it or add another beer to fill the growlette..  and you think I'm gonna dump a beer I want?!  YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH right!  So I blended in half of their black lager - Oma's Tribute.  So let's see how it is!  Terrifically black pour..minimal head and carbonation  (again, probably a product of a few weeks in a growler)  Faint notes of chocolate and espresso with nice touches of herby tea that really dominates the nose.  The blend is amazingly light for such a dark beer.. terrific smoky burnt espresso notes.. ton of spice - cinnamon, clove, nutmeg.. all in a fashion I've never yet experienced.  The herbal notes of the tea really shine here and work awesomely with the amalgamation that is this blend of beers..  Tough to break this one down because of the blend, but both were amazing on their own.. and even better together! Hey, Throwback.. make this one a reality!

No comments:

Post a Comment