Thursday, June 7, 2012

Abita 25th

Slowly getting through the cache I'm hoarding.. which will no doubt grow once I think I'm making a dent..  Tonight it's the 25th Anniversary offering from Abita.  


25th Anniversary Vanilla Double Dog.  a 7% ABV amped-up version of their TurboDog with a vanilla kick. Wicked dark pour with a fluffy, yet sticky head.. huge nose coming from this.  Roasty, chocolate, faint vanilla notes.. picture a vanilla brown ale with an attitude.  Smooth, but with a nice bite to it, this hits you with the malts from the get go.. brown ale theme here again, or the baby brother of a stout.  Roasted malts, rich chocolate, hearty bread.. it's all there, but in a nice balance.  Vanilla sweetness in the finish, but unfortunately it's that cheap-seeming artificial vanilla taste, and the faintest bit of a floral hoppy note.  Overall, pretty nice.  I would be lying if I said I was fully impressed..  to me, for a 25th anniversary brew, you go big and you go for the wow factor.  However nice this was, however balanced it seemed, it lacked that wow...

No comments:

Post a Comment