Friday, November 8, 2013

11.8 - All Aboard the Spice Express

This one sounded interesting.. but is it actually?  Is. It. Actually?


Ballast Point Brewing Company - Indra Kunindra
a 7.05 ABV "Export Stout" brewed with curry spice, coconut, Kaffir line leaf, cayenne, and cumin.  Did I just belly flop into the Indian food section of Whole Foods?  WTF?!  The worst time of my life was any time I had to step foot into the hallways of my off-campus apartment building junior and senior year of college.. fucking reeked of curry.  Now I'm gonna drink it?  I'm a moron.
Black-as-night pour, but not too viscous with a faint tan head.  It's got roasty note combined a giant smash of spice to your nose holes..  loaded curry and cumin aroma.  Borderline overpowering.  aaaaand this is just odd.  There's roasty chocolate flavors.. some coffee.. and BOOM comes the spice.  ZERO coconut or lime notes.. just pure pepper/curry Indian spice.  As it warms, these fade to give way to a fuller roasty malt body.. but it's close to undrinkable at times.  It bounces back and forth.. terrible to ok to terrible back to OK again. Thankfully the spice overall is a bit subdued, and while not my thing AT ALL, it is exactly what it sets out to be.. can't knock it for that

- - 6 Hops!

No comments:

Post a Comment