Monday, January 2, 2012

New Year - Old Beer!

So it's 2012 now..  sweet Jesus..  Doesn't feel different though, does it?  One things for sure, it'll be a freakin kick-ass year filled with great beers.  Nothing will stop me from making 2012 a hell of a year, and neither should you!

...so with a new year, let's try and old beer!  On my recent trip to CA, I was able to procure some Stone Saison du Buff that I was "swindled" out of.. but that's another story.  At the same time I managed to find a bottle of the Stone/Maui/Ken Schmidt - Kona Coffee, Macadamia, Coconut Porter!  Seriously.. this stuff was brewed and released in September of 2009! Yes, I said 2009..  well over 2 years ago!


Also called "Aloha Plenty" after Ken's winning homebrew.. he got the chance to brew with Stone and Maui, so it's not your average collab from the start.  an 8.5% ABV Porter..  cellared for 2+ years at the primo liquor store in San Diego County.  I'm sure that influenced the taste quite a bit.. but we'll get to that.  A stunningly black pour.. very little head and an aroma that overtook the room.  Huge sweet coffee nose mixed with a creamy vanilla, syrupy bourbon and roasted nuttiness all in one.  It's indescribable.. I'm literally floored.   In simplest terms, the taste of this beer is like the best beer version of Kahlua you could ever imagine.  But calling it Kahlua is an insult (not to say I don't love me a nice Mexican coffee or Black Russian!)  this ain't Kahlua though, this is a Stone!  So rich and smooth, the coffee dominates for sure..  super rich, creamy, bold..  huge roasted malts and a sweet nutty undertone.  Not sure where the coconut comes in which is OK with me cause I'm not a huge coconut fan..  I got hints here and there as it warmed.  Boozy from the start and almost like the richest melted fudge.. slightest hint    so simple but amazingly complex.  I'm hoping they decide to re-brew this.. pure genius in a bottle!

No comments:

Post a Comment