Sunday, March 6, 2011

Thanksgiving Beer!

Yeah, yeah..way late, I know.  I'm just lazy, no excuses here.  Since Sam Adams decided not to include their Cranberry Lambic in the Winter Sampler this year and I had never gotten the chance to try it, when I found Harpoon's cranberry beer..I couldn't resist trying it!

Harpoon Grateful Harvest Cranberry Ale.  The awesome thing about this beer is that for every 6pk sold, Harpoon donates to local (New England) food banks..I think it's a $1.00 per 6pk.  Doesn't seem like much, but $4 per case sold can sure add up!  I guess in 2010 they donated over $200,000 via their Harpoon Helps program, of which the Grateful Harvest is a part of.  Pretty damn cool of them, especially in times when everyone is stuffing their faces with turkey and smashed potaters and pie..mmmm pie... those who can't afford a feast are able to get something at their local food banks.  So those of us who can afford to enjoy beer can help out a bit even if you don't donate directly.  That being said, I feel fortunate enough to be able to buy and enjoy beer regularly, so this was the least I could do.  Thanksgiving = thankful for my family and my health..but also for beer!

Never having a cranberry ale before and wanting Sam Cranberry Lambic so so badly, I had high hopes for this beer.  5.9% ABV and 25 IBUs seem to lend itself to something which may be mighty tasty, not too hoppy to overpower the fruit of a cranberry beer.  That being said, not much came through on the nose.  Faint hints of cranberry came through, as well as some cherry notes, but a lot of toasted malts.  Beautiful dark amber red pour though, akin to a Sam Cherry Wheat (yeah, the picture is a bit dark..trust me on this one)  Taste is initially like an unfiltered wheat, some hops thrown in there, not as light or citrus-y as a wheat though. There is a tart taste to the finish, presumably from the fresh cranberry puree added to the beer.  But that tartness is all that comes through, like dried cranberries without the fruity taste.  Finishes with some caramel sweetness and the tart balancing each other out, but was expecting more fruit to the taste like in the Cherry Wheat.  Very drinkable all-around and feels good to help donate while enjoying beer.  Gotta try and find the Sam Cranberry Lambic this year or next as a comparison though.

No comments:

Post a Comment