Thursday, September 9, 2010

Fire Pit and the Troegenator!

About a week or so ago my friend had some people over for a fire pit and drinking.. try and find someone that would say no to that!  Decided to try the Troegs Brewing Company's Troegenator Double Bock I saw at work..
WOW..only tried any sort of bock once in my life and it was the limited release of Sam Adams Triple Bock about 2 years ago..before I really even liked 'normal' beers.  Speaking of that..  gotta go see if my Mom still has that case!  Back to senor Troegenator...  22oz bottle weighing in at 8.2% abv! with 25 IBU's.. yup I'm gonna start noting the IBU's or International Bitterness Units technically 1-100.  Hoppy taste in a high IBU beer can be disguised by malts so not always a scale of how hoppy the beer actually tastes, but is a nice reference point.

  the aroma upon just opening the bottle was intense..malty sweetness, dark fruits..  like a malty wine.  Tough to tell, but it poured a beautiful opaque maroon, decent thick head that faded quickly.  Taste was very similar to the smell, fairly sweet, malty, no sign of hops, but with a subtle alcohol taste (as one would expect from an over 8% abv beer), more dark fruits..plum, black cherry, hints of licorice and molasses, maybe spice.  distinct aftertaste that I can't quite place..guess I need to try another bottle soon!  very nice beer, not too heavy on the palate, gotta try more dopplebock

No comments:

Post a Comment